Thursday, December 9, 2010

(131) "I Don't Have Any Kids"...

That is what the breastfeeding instructor said to the class last night. She of course went on to say that we could see it as a positive or negative. She did try to reassure us that she is fully licensed and it took her 7 years to get certified and she has 17 years experience, with 10 fully certified years in this area.

Well that's great ma'am. But you have NEVER latched a kid to your boob so really how am I supposed to take your word on anything??

The research. And the literature. That is what is supposed to make me believe her.

Well forgive me when I say this... if I wanted to get the freakin' scientific approach to breastfeeding I would go to the library and check out all the research and educate myself. But I don't. I want the real-world, national geographic truth about breastfeeding. And please, do not push your "breast is best, formula is the devil, and pacifiers are forbidden" propaganda on me. Me and Buglet will come to our own consensus together as to what is best for her. I will not be made to feel like a bad mother if I don't hound my nurses for my baby, if I don't see all the "warning signs" in my baby, if I "allow" my baby to scream bloody murder before feeding, or if I give my baby a pacifier or supplement with formula. And no, my baby is not going to be developmentally behind or sickly all the time just because I feed her one bottle of formula... despite what your scientific research might say.

It was 3 hours in a classroom with a lactation consultant (aka breastfeeding nazi) who doesn't have children of her own and has never hooked up a kid to her boob, but has 10 years of "experience" working with new moms and their boobs.

In that 3 hours, we never watched a video of the different techniques of latching or how to unlatch, if need be. It was all just powerpoint. And we got maybe 5-10 minutes of "practice" with plastic baby dolls. Um, yeah. That helped tremendously {insert sarcasm}.

I told my husband I am just going to stick with the two books that I have. They give far more everyday information on the subject and there is no anti-breastfeeding/supplementation propaganda.

And of course, if I need more help, I will just go to my mom.

2 comments:

  1. You are hysterical. There was a MALE lactation consultant at the Med when I had my first. I was like, Ummm.... could you puh-leeze send a woman in here. What were they thinking??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be surprised with how many have no actual experience. Crazy, if you ask me! If I lived near you, I would come help you out. :) Pacifiers are just fine, all of mine took them and breastfed fine! I can't imagine sitting in a class that long. Maybe there will be a good one at the hospital. I had to giggle when I read that you practiced with a plastic doll. LOL

    ReplyDelete