Tuesday, December 7, 2010

(130) Labor and Delivery...

Nope. I am not in labor. Don't feel like I am anywhere close. But we did get our tour of L&D at the hospital last night.

We also "practiced" different labor positions and pushing at our last childbirth class. That was interesting. Let me just say it is difficult to practice something that you have NO experience with. I mean I don't know what labor will feel like so I am not sure what pressure points will work or not work. I am not sure what breathing technique will be best, deep breathing or variation... though I am pretty sure I won't have to do too many hee's and who's since I am going for the epidural. The one thing I am ABSOLUTELY sure of is that the whole pushing process of holding your legs back and holding your breath for a count of 10, 3 times in a row is NOT FUN. NOT. AT. ALL. Of course, it might feel better when I am doing it for real. But last night's practice made me and Buglet just feel weird. We are in agreeance that we shouldn't be in that position ever again unless it is for her arrival.

When that madness we done, we went over to the hospital for the tour. My memories of L&D from a year ago involve lots of construction and plastic wrap. They were still under-going their remodeling so I was all confused as to where I was, but then again all of that was hazy to begin with. They have done a remarkable job to bring the rooms into the 21st century. The rooms used to have horrible wallpaper and everything just felt sterile, which I guess a hospital should. But the rooms now have a "hotel" feeling. No grandmotherly wallpaper or cold white linoleum. And no reminders of December 31st. There were not many women admitted last night from what I could see, but we did get to see a dad carrying his 1 hour old newborn to the nursery. It was the sweetest thing. The baby had a full head of auburn hair and the dad had a tremendous smile on his face. For me it was comforting to see a new life in a place that right now has the opposite memories for me.

Our tour lasted 30 minutes or so. That was enough. Toward the end, I started getting light-headed and ill-feeling. Just being there was almost too much for me. But we made it and Brendon reminded me that, while he might be able to remember the exact placement of the room I was in, I didn't need to worry about it (he didn't say it in that many words, just his look and touch said enough).

We will be creating new memories there in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete