Thursday, April 15, 2010

(52) [insert title here]

This post has been edited from its previous version.

So I realize it has been a week since my last post. A whole 7 days. In the blogging world, that is like dropping off the face of the earth. Of course, I am not blogging to feed my family or to make extra money... so what do I care?

Well actually I should. I have many followers. More than I count on one hand. Oh yeah. I am that good. The height of the actually number overwhelms me. I am giddy with excitement.

You can stop laughing now.

Seriously. Stop. Laughing.

I never thought I would get one follower. Well, I take that back. Katie is the reason I have a blog so I knew she would follow. Or I guess I expected her to. That sounds shelfish. Katie, sweetie, you know what I mean. So to have more than 1 follower who keep up with me is really hitting it out of the park. I don't see my life as anything extraordinary. In fact my life is rather extra-ordinary. But guess what? This is where I am wrong, and in most instances, we are all wrong.

Blogging is really the ultimate in ego-driven behavior. There is only one reason to have a blog, right? To write about OURSELVES? I mean where else can we talk about ourselves and not have to worry about being cut off or getting nasty looks. It is the perfect haven for those of us who can't get enough of ourselves. I will admit it. I can't get enough of me. I am important. And what I say is important to everyone else.

You can stop laughing. Again.

So back to my lovely followers. They follow me for several reasons, I would presume. Maybe it's the way I write. Maybe it's what I write about. Maybe it's just to keep up with the house that we are building (what will ya'll do when that ends? Hmmm?). Or maybe it's because there is a part of my life that is common in theirs.

Isn't this why we read other people's blogs? Because we can relate? We can relate to family dynamics, we can relate to certain situations, we can relate to seasons of the year, we can relate to sense of humor and opinion. Through our blogs, ego aside, we touch people. We meet new people. We make new friends. We provide old friends and family a connection to us. It is through this ego-driven behavior that we somehow allow ourselves to open up, step out, and create a connection with others.

So when you are faced with the questions of "Why do you have a blog?" or "Why would you put EVERYTHING out there?", remember that, be it friend, family, or stranger, you touch someone's heart and soul with your words. I know the people who follow me have touched mine.



Just be sure to tweek your privacy settings so not every nutjob has access.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, there are 7 people following you in Google Reader- one of which is me. You should set up google analytics- you may surprise yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already on the verge of bursting into tears and this doesn't help! Thank you so much for letting us followers in! I know you will continue to touch lives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google analytics? How does one do that? I'm still learning how to upload photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my husband helped me. I think if you google "Google analytics" and get some code, then post it as a gadget on your site it will start working. It's accessing the reports that I have trouble with. I'm not much help, am I? I clearly don't have a good handle on it.

    ReplyDelete