Monday, March 29, 2010

(42) The Phone Is Ringing...

A week ago Sunday, the message at church was about answering the call. Our guest speaker taught us that as Christians, as we go through life, as we follow God, we are called to make disciples of those around us. We are to reach out to those in trouble, in grief, in sorrow, even those that seem to have it all together.

Matthew 28:19-20
19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

It doesn't mean we have to travel to some exotic or 3rd world country. There are plenty of lost, grief-stricken, lonely, out-of-hope people in need right here in our own backyard. Don't misunderstand me. It doesn't mean that we are to be their "rescuers". We are not the ones that save them. We cannot take credit for that. We merely give them the tools, we teach them how to use those tools, then we encourage them to continuously use those tools. It is up to them to take those tools and use them. We cannot force it upon them.

We are to be examples. A disciple is merely a learner or follower. We are all disciples of Christ. We follow Christ's example.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

(Some good examples are the stories of Paul & Timothy and Ruth & Noami.)

So where am I going with all of this?

Well, it was during the service that God started tugging at my heart. I hadn't noticed a small group for bereavement or loss, let alone anything as specific as pregnancy loss. I started wondering if there was truly a need in the church for group like this. If there is one thing I have learned in the last 3 months, is that there are more of us than you realize. It is almost like a secret club. You do not know who the members are until you become one yourself. So the next day, Monday, I decided to just write the church and get some information. I offered to bring some brochures by that are from my monthly support group (M.E.N.D.) and leave them in case they know of any women and/or couples that need some support. I waited a few days for a response. I started getting worried that I wouldn't get a response and my email would get lost.

Then Thursday came. I hate Thursdays. That Thursday was really bad. And the Lord heard. I got my response. This is what I learned: (1) the church does not have a small group for this, (2) I can drop the brochures off during the week, and (3) they would love for me to start a small group.

Small group? Me? Start and lead? Ummm... all I was doing was offering the brochures.

I knew I was opening myself up for that. I have no idea how to start a small group. I know enough of God's Word to get me around, but to lead others... oh my goodness, I will flounder. This is where God is trying to remind me and encourage me. I am called to make disciples of others. I am called to lead them in God's Word. The Lord will lead me and I will lead them.

God has my back. WOW. What a powerful statement!

Of course, that statement is a lot more difficult to internalize than just listening to someone say it. How can I lead a small group when I still have tremendous diffculty talking about our loss with strangers? How do I offer support to people when I am still in need of so much support myself? How can I lead a small group if some of the couples suffered a full term stillbirth and we "only" suffered a 20 week miscarriage? Our loss seems trivial compared to theirs.

Oh the questions and doubts... and there are MANY. But if this is truly my call, then I need to answer it.

As my husband told me yesterday morning, it all starts with saying "hi".

2 comments:

  1. Oh Meredith, I know that you are going to be FANTASTIC!!!! While I have never "met" you I would call you my friend! Your writing and perspective on things is amazing. I think God will use you in so many ways and I know you will continue to bless the lives of others. Your loss is far from trivial. You will always be Mommy! Thank you so much for sharing this! You continue to bless my life and for that I am very thankful! If I lived in the same city, I would ABSOLUTELY join your small group! :)

    ~Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mere! This is the most awesome thing I think you've ever posted! I am so proud of you. I really think you need to do this. I wish we lived near eachother. I wish I could help you, or at the very least, participate :). I think almost DAILY about how wonderful it would be to start a group like this.

    I have a suggestion. Is that weird? Read the book "Grieving the child I never knew". It's a devotional, and for women who have lost a child at ANY stage of the pregnancy. Each "chapter" has either a bible story or a psalm or verse, and then talks about how it applies to loss... and then asks questions to help you through your grief. I read it while recovering from my c-section and it was SO HELPFUL. In the beginning, it suggests that you use it for a small Christian group. You could use it to help you figure out how to plan your group. :) Even if you don't use it, I know you'll get a lot out of it. When I was reading it, I kept thinking about how awesome it would be to be apart of a group that uses it. We don't have any Christian based support groups around here, and I really wish we did!

    LOVE you.. let me know how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete