This is a post I wrote back on 04/02/09 after an evening at my gym. I figured instead of writing another post about gym insights, I would just pull from the original. Why re-invent the wheel, right? Enjoy!!
So yesterday was my day to go to the gym and do some cross-training. I find the gym is a fascinating study in human behavior. Obviously, we all go to the gym to get fit. But past that, it is interesting to observe certain types of people that congregate in this place of body worship.
Type 1... the girl who is obviously more interested in showing off her body than making it do any work. Well, it does work for her... I guess it gets her the glances she craves. But you know the one I am talking about. She wears the tightest pants/ shortest shorts she can find with a little sports bra (as few articles of clothing as possible). She spends 10 minutes on the treadmill, but is more focused on watching the guys glance at her. Then off she goes to do who knows what... but its something that doesn't require any sweating. They go to the gym just to say they go to the gym. Oh yeah, and they have their hair all done up and make up too. And they also tend to be the ones that give dirty looks to the women who are actually doing something and aren't the size 00. I mean honestly, if she wants to give me a dirty look, then she needs to back it up. She might think she is prettier and yeah she is skinnier...but appearance isn't everything.
Type 2... the guy who likes to strut in front of the window. I love watching this guy. Cracks me up. He spends all his time in front of the wall o' mirrors and does his posturing. Granted, I do understand that using a mirror helps with your overall form... I use the mirror on occassion (mostly just to watch this guy strut, but it helps to see if I am slouching or not). But in all honesty, it is like watch a rooster walk in front of the ladies. Only, he does it in front of other guys and the mirror. He stands there and flexes his arms or his legs, makes a little grimace here and there, then walks baack and forth. He doesn't look straight ahead when he walks from one end to the other. He uses the mirror to glance a few feet ahead then goes back to admiring himself. Of course, maybe he uses the mirror to check out the girl (Type 1) in the back of the gym. I really don't know.
Type 3... the matchers. Now I really have no qualm with girls who match. It is just intriguing to me because I am not one to match. I am there to workout not be a fashion statement...or try to pick up a guy. When I say match, I don't mean that the shirt is a color that can go with the shorts. I mean the color of the top matches the color in the strip on the side of the pants, which matches the color in the shoes. It's all coordinating. Truly is amazing to me. Granted, I try to coordinate as well...you wont catch me wearing a hot pink top with cerulean blue shorts (unless that is all that is clean). I know what goes, and what doesn't. But just because my top matches my pants and my shoes, does not mean I will run faster, farther, or win the race.
Addition (01/26/10):
Type 4... the pairs. So these pairs can be of the male or female variety. It's almost like watching birds doing a dance. Let me explain the female species first. This duo exemplifies the matchers and barbies. Not only do they have their make-up and hair done, they also match their clothing, and sometimes they match each other. Odd behavior. Why would you want to match your co-hort in a public place? I mean, really. These individuals play a fascinating game. Together they move from one machine to another. And these machines have to be paired. One cannot be on the treadmill while the other is on the stair-master. That is unacceptable. How can they possible carry on a meaningful conversation about who is dating who and which celebrity is in rehab now? Once on the machines, they chatter back and forth. Almost like the little birds who fight for the bird seed on my porch. They like to look over the other women that walk by, as if the pair is somehow superior. And they behave right obviously if they are talking about another person at the gym by turning AT THE SAME TIME to glare over their shoulders. This is where the penguin stance come in handy, "Smile and wave, boys... smile and wave". Works every time. Oh and let's not forget that they have to be in constant competition with any woman that is next to them. They strain their necks to see what speed and incline the other woman is at. Faster is their motto. Have to be better. Apparently, they don't realize that the woman next to them is a marathoner and can outlast them. So next is the male species. Like roosters. They strut back and forth. Quite comical if you ask me. This pair also work together. But it's more in formation. They see the female pair and have to situate themselves behind. This gives them the optimal view of the rear of the female pair so they can "talk amongst themselves". As males, they do not match, nor do they really care about their appearance. Although there are some that are the exception to this rule. They like to think that they can get the female pair to notice them when they walk by and/or when they are exercising (this is done by trying to go as fast as they can on the machines). There also seems to be a need to impress the woman who happens to be next to them. They look over every few minutes, trying to get her attention. And if this doesn't work then perhaps speeding things up will do the trick. This gives them the feel that they are the epitomy of maleness and that the woman will get that vibe. Actually they look like fools and the woman has to keep from tripping on the treadmill because she wants to laugh.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment