Tuesday, January 19, 2010

(5) New Door To Our Future...

Yep. We have our front door. It is an awesome door. We L-O-V-E this door. But before I get ahead of myself, here is a picture of the beauty...



Here is the story behind the door...

We first saw this glass and wood wonder in November at the local Home Depot. It was there in the door section sitting off to the side with a markdown tag on it. Apparently, a couple had ordered this door for their new house but decided after seeing it in person that it wouldn't match their house. Yes. I repeat, they decided to just not take the door because it was too red and wouldn't match the rest of the wood on the house. People with too much money do not make sense to me, but I digress. So we marveled at this door, which was marked down to $775 from $1000. Of course at that time, we hadn't decided on our house situation... hadn't decided to build and couldn't find an existing house. In the end, we said our goodbyes to the door and just knew that it would find a good home. Lucky homeowners whomever they were. Flash-forward to Friday, January 15, 2010 (my husband's birthday). We were at Home Depot to find him a birthday gift... told him he could pick out whatever he wanted within the budget. We were there for what seemed like a couple of hours and only had 2 items in the basket to show for it. We had walked from one end of the store and back and back again. Well we ran into the gentlemen who orignally showed us the door in November and he mentioned that the door was still in the back and he was getting ready to mark it down again in a few weeks. Do what? The door is still here? No one has bought it? That was our cue. We asked where it was and he pointed us in the right direction. And there it was. The magnificent door in the back, just waiting to be claimed. We looked it over and the gentleman who was working the door department at that moment came to the back and inquired if we were interested. My husband did his talk and offered $600. The gentleman called the Department Manager over, talked with him, and the next thing I saw was a head nod and heard a "it's yours". Really? Ours? We were both speechless. No wait. STUNNED. I couldn't believe it then and still can't believe it. I don't know if it was in the stars for us to get this door or what. But believe me, I look at the door everyday and I am still in awe that this splendid work of mahogany, wrought iron, and glass will greet our friends and family before they cross the threshold of our new home.

And to top this delicious cake off... we researched the actual price of the door. Drum roll, please. $1501. We got a $1501 door for $600.

Lucky homeowners... yep, that would be us.

No comments:

Post a Comment